This is my second year heading up the SchoolMall fundraiser to help earn cold cash for the school's computer lab. This is a pretty simple fundraiser, but it's incredibly strange --- so, I love it. It features Mr. Earl "the Prize Man". A lot of my students say, "Mr. Sacran, Mr. Earl looks creepy." I act like I have no idea what they're talking about and defend Mr. Earl as being a kind elderly prize man.

I'm sent a cardboard cutout of Mr. Earl to put in the hallways or where ever - so the students will remember to participate when they see him in the halls. Last year, I creeped people out big time with this cardboard cutout of Mr. Earl. I moved him around a lot, and had him at corners (for those rounding corners), behind doors, and in really odd places (even outside).
This year has been pretty great too. I was told today that Mr. Earl was stolen and taken into the middle school girls restroom. I was told that someone put him in the bathroom stall, and that an 8th grade girl saw his reflection in the mirror and ran out screaming. I acted concerned and disheartened, but I actually thought that it was great.
The fundraiser video is also really great. I tell my middle school students that the video is made for high school or college age students and that a lot of it will go over their heads. So, I warn them with that, and they get prepared before I start the video. After the video starts, they get really confused, and I love watching their faces while they're watching ... because it's actually made for really little children. Last year, some 7th graders were laughing so hard during the video that they began crying and I found myself crying with them because it was SO hilariously weird.
Lastly, I'll tell about the t-shirt prize. Students have an opportunity to win a super gnarly t-shirt. This year, it's a Scooby Doo t-shirt; last year, it was a Garfield t-shirt. So, I'm supposed to wear this t-shirt to show it off (or "make them jealous"). So during the week of introducing the fundraiser, I wear that t-shirt all week long. It's funny because students will start to notice in the hallways and say, "Mr. Sacran, you wore that shirt yesterday." and I can then respond with, "I've been wearing this shirt for the past four days." They usually all say, "gross." and it makes my day.
4 comments:
That is hysterical!!! So tommy-ish. And he is creepy!!
I wish we had Mr. Earl - or someone like you - at work. Then, maybe...just maybe... *I* wouldn't be known as the "weirdo" anymore. I love the SchoolMall Fundraiser!
SWEEETTTT!!!!!! I just watched the video and am wiping tears thinking of the intro you gave to the kids... Mr Earl and Mr Earl, Jr. are as off the wall as our family LOL I am so jealous of your students, I want to be in Mr. Tommy's class!!!!! ROFLOL
Your students are so blessed to have a commedian for a teacher. Of course, you are actually entertaining yourself first and foremost, but I love it:) you go Mr. Earl and Mr. Earl Jr.
Post a Comment